Sunday, January 9, 2011

Yes, You can have nicely browned chicken


I was thinking that I'd never be able to enjoy some of my favorite recipes anymore. I tried one today with a little twist and the result? Awesome! Who needs wheat anyway? Speaking of my wheat allergy, I'm not surprised. I've been reading labels on everything for a month. I'm surprised I'm not allergic to a bunch of other stuff too. Wheat is in tons of stuff, not just breads and breading and things you'd think of. They put it in chicken broth, it's in some ice creams, Starbucks has it in some of the coffee drinks. It's everywhere. Sometimes they come right out and say wheat. Other times they try to hide it by calling it 'modified food starch' or 'hydrolyzed wheat protein'. If you don't know semolina flour is also known as durum wheat flour. That's the main ingredient in pasta. Another thing I have seen on tons of food labels is high fructose corn syrup aka super sugar made from corn. Somewhere somebody decided that 3 things make food taste good. Those are sugar, salt, and fat. If you take out one, they put in more of another. So reduced sugar and sugar- free foods are higher in fat and sodium. Low fat and fat-free foods are higher in sugar, etc. I've been eating whole foods for just a short time and, already, my taste buds are coming back to life. So I was able to reduce the salt in today's recipe. I'm really starting to enjoy food. I'm sorry I missed out on a lot of really good food over the years while I ate that stuff that most of this country continues to eat.


Gluten Free Rosemary Chicken

4- 6 oz boneless chicken breasts
1 Teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon olive oil (the original recipe called for all butter but olive oil is better for your heart)
2 Tablespoons Tapioca Flour
1 large Spanish onion; halved and sliced (about the thickness of a drinking straw)
1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp sea salt; divided
1/2 cup water plus 1/4 cup additional water
1/4 cup good stock (I like Kitchen Basics if I can't make my own)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp rosemary leaves, crumbled
1 tsp sage


1. Melt butter over medium heat in large deep frying pan. Add olive oil and stir.
2. Season chicken with a pinch of the salt on each side. You should have a little left to season the sauce. Coat in the tapioca flour. Brown in the butter/oil mixture. Cook on each side 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan.
3. Add onions and red bell pepper to pan. Stirring occasionally, cook the onions until translucent and just starting to brown.
4. Add the spices to the onion mix. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the water and the stock. Let it cook down slightly. Then return the chicken to the pan. Stir to coat the chicken with the onion mix. Add the additional water and stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes while sauce thickens. If you'd like thinner sauce, add more stock or water.
5. Remove bay leaf and throw away before serving. You might notice that I took a picture of mine with the bay leaf intact. Bay leaves are not edible.

I served mine with a nice jasmine rice and steamed green beans tossed with a little olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment