Friday, January 7, 2011

Berry Nice Fruit Salad


Wednesday January 5, 2011. I went to a lovely restaurant in Chicago called Cousins. They are a Vegan raw food restaurant. They had loads of options for lots of diets, including gluten free. They offer sampler plates of their appetizer selections. I went with the 3 choices option. You can get up to 6 choices. I chose Fakin' Bacon Poppers, Spinach Frittata, and a Tropical Fruit Salad. The fake bacon was made with eggplant and was stuffed with a salad made of kale. It was pretty good but not my favorite of the 3. The top picture is of one of the poppers. The Spinach Frittata looked so amazing that I ate it first and took a picture later. I ordered a fresh squeezed lemonade and they made it with agave syrup instead of sugar. I just love when restaurants are willing to take the next step to accommodate people. The Tropical Fruit salad was also amazing. I knew what fruits were in it so I went yesterday and bought the ingredients that I didn't have on hand. I played with the flavors and came up with a wonderful rendition of a tropical fruit salad with berries. That's the recipe I will share today.

Berry Nice Fruit Salad
Approx 4
1/2 cup servings

2 medium apples, chopped into bite sized pieces. I used 2 varieties; Gala and Fuji but you can use whatever you like.
1 tangerine; peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (flakes or shredded)
1/4 cup pineapple. I used fresh and cut it up into small pieces.
2 oz assorted berries. I used a blend of strawberries, blueberries and raspberries
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon agave (optional if you want extra sweetness)


Mix all ingredients together. Chill for 1 hour to let the flavors meld. Enjoy!

The bottom picture is of my fruit salad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment