Saturday, January 22, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy


I have to admit. I was missing bread. I missed having something to spread jam on, spoon gravy over, or just have with a little butter. I tried some of the store bought GF breads and wasn't impressed. The tapioca flour bread was tasteless. The rice bread shot my sugar up to over 200. Not good. So I went back to the gluten free Bisquick. They offered a biscuit recipe but it was basically bland. I want to follow this diet and feel good but I don't want to give up taste. At the same time, I don't want high sugar levels either. So I went to Google and looked up some baking mix recipes. I tried a couple but there were the same problems. White rice flour is no good for my blood glucose levels. So since I've been playing with some other G/F flours, I thought I'd take one of the recipes I found and change things around a bit. What I came up with is a very nice drop biscuit recipe. It has some body but isn't a brick. It's a bit fluffy but not too crumbly. I used brown rice flour and almond meal. It has some baking soda and a bit of xanthan gum. The taste? I ate every crumb from my plate. I even ate it with some sausage gravy. I made that by browning the sausage and adding some tapioca flour and made a roux (fat and flour to make a paste). Then i added seasonings, water and some milk. I'll share that recipe another day. I know you're dying for bread too. The serving size is 1 biscuit but they were so good, I ate 2. I'll eat 1 at a time from now on though. I won't be able to lose any weight if I keep eating the way I was but with no gluten.



Gluten Free Biscuits
Makes 6 biscuits

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

1 cup almond meal (or almond flour- same thing)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup milk

1. Mix together all dry ingredients.
2. Add shortening and blend with pastry blender, fork, or fingers until mixture is crumbly.
3. Mix in egg. Then add the milk and mix until mix forms a soft dough. It shouldn't be too sticky.
4. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 375 for 12-15 or until tops are lightly browned. Check to make sure center is cooked and not doughy.
6. Try not to burn your hands when you eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment