Monday, January 10, 2011

My New Favorite Thickener

I love Tapioca Flour. It's a big mess because it's thinner than cornstarch. Yes, that is possible. It flies everywhere when scooped but I still love it. It adds no taste, cooks up nicely, and looks good when done. I like cornstarch too but tapioca flour is nicer for gravy, fruit filling and sauces. I used tapioca flour yesterday on my Rosemary Chicken. It thickened the sauce nicely and without the clumps you sometimes get with cornstarch. Unlike cornstarch, you can add tapioca flour to a liquid that is already warmed. In the recipe I used it as a light dusting so my chicken would brown. It did and very nicely too.

2 comments:

  1. Do you grind it yourself or buy it that way. Will have to try this with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it that way. Try the local health food store or the specialty section of your grocery store. If you still can't find it, let me know. I have an online source.

    ReplyDelete