Thursday, January 27, 2011

Smoothies


Well I'm off my feet for a few weeks, at least in the kitchen. So I'm trying some foods that are in the freezer section of the local grocery store. Today I tried the new Yoplait Smoothies. In their recipe, you use the whole bag of smoothie blend. I tried the blueberry pomegranate pack. It has whole blueberries and nuggets of pomegranate juice blended with yogurt. You add your own skim milk and blend. Since it's just me eating this way, I used half the bag. I also added the other smoothie ingredients I keep on hand. I have flax meal which is ground up flax seeds. You can buy it ground or grind them in your coffee grinder. I also have chia seeds. Yes, these are the same seeds you used to spread onto a pottery animal that you soaked overnight in water. As it turns out, these are really good at adding fiber to your diet. They have no flavor but they bulk up nice in water and helps keep you full longer. I added a full cup of milk to mine. It makes them a little thinner but the cold doesn't bother my teeth so much and the extra vitamin D is really good for you. Here's my version of the Yoplait Smoothie.



Altered Yoplait Smoothie
Makes 1 serving

1/2 bag Yoplait Smoothie Blend
1 cup milk. Their recipe calls for skim, I used 1%
1 tablespoon flax meal
1 teaspoon chia seeds
1-2 ice cubes (optional)

Throw all ingredients into your blender and blend until you are happy with the results. The ice will make it a little thicker if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment