Tuesday, January 11, 2011

If it's Vegan........


.....can you really call it ice cream? I know, I'm just supposed to be going gluten free and sugar free and less eggs. So I really don't have to be giving up everything but it's always nice to try something else. Besides I told my family that it was vegan and I didn't have to share. My husband tried 1 bite. He said it wasn't bad tasting which might even be a compliment. I thought it was wonderful. It was even better when I went back on the 4th day and found that there was still some left. It didn't make it to a 5th day. I will make more very soon. This one started out as vanilla and then I decided to go decadent. So I added chocolate, well carob, and then I added carob chips. I have got to work on making caramels with agave syrup. Then I can really have decadence. Perhaps on a snow day when I can't drive anywhere. I know how pioneers did all that cooking. They drove to church once a week and most of the rest of life revolved around home. You can leave the stove on if you're only out in the yard or in the other room doing chores. So back to this century. I've been playing with all these great foods and today I'm sharing the carob frozen concoction but to keep it simple and easily searchable I will just call it....

Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream

1/2 cup servings
Serves 4-5 depending on how much you 'taste test' before it's done


13-`14 oz can Coconut Milk (Use full fat for this)
1/2 cup carob chips
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (pick one that's smooth without grassy flavors)
1/3 cup agave syrup
1 Tablespoon Vanilla
dash of salt

1/4 cup carob chips


1. In large saucepan over medium heat mix together the coconut milk, olive oil and agave syrup. Bring to a simmer. Look for bubbles on the edge but not boiling. Add carob chips and stir until melted. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and salt. Stir. Pour into container and chill in fridge. Add to ice cream maker. When about halfway frozen, add carob chips.

Don't have an ice cream maker? Don't panic. You can use a glass or stainless steel container and make do. Pour the mixture into your container and put it in the freezer. Every 2 hours, remove and scrape down the sides of the container and stir together. It will freeze and start to look grainy. Once it's mostly frozen, you can use a hand mixer to break up the bigger chunks and make it smoother. It's not going to look like commercial ice cream. Even when you use an ice cream maker, it's not going to be that smooth. Once you like the consistency, you can freeze overnight or for at least 4 hours. This will improve the flavor. I really thought it tasted best on the 3rd or 4th day but I couldn't wait that long. Maybe you can but probably only if you don't taste test it along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment