Saturday, January 8, 2011

My new favorite grain, Quinoa


Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah)is a grain. It's brown and it cooks up just like rice. you use one cup of grain to 2 cups of liquid. So far I've eaten it plain (that was okay), as a pilaf (that was really good), and as an ingredient in a soup (that was also really good). It looks really cool after it's cooked. The germ (the outer layer of the grain) gets little lighter in color. So it looks like a tan dot with a lighter tan circle around it. The flavor is a little nutty but not strong. It's nice enough for adults and yet my picky 10 year old will eat it. It will go well in a lot of recipes. The grain is about half the size of long grain rice. Today's recipe is the pilaf I have now made twice. The first time I didn't have slivered almonds so I used whole. The second time I just chopped the whole almonds. That was much nicer so I suggest that. This photo also has baked salmon and steamed snow peas.

Quinoa Pilaf
Serving size 1/2 cup
Serves 4

2 cups cooked quinoa; I used stock to cook it
1 medium carrot, diced
1/2 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips. Then cut the strips in half so they are shorter.
1-2 stalks celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, I prefer Extra Virgin. Buy something nice from a Greek or Italian store
1/4 cup raw almonds, chopped
2 Tablespoons stock, veggie or chicken
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Heat the oil in a saute or frying pan over medium heat until warm.
2. Add the veggies and cook until the onions are almost see-through.
3. Add the almonds. Cook 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the cooked quinoa and the stock.
5. Cook for 2-3 minutes and season to taste.

Leave me a comment on what you ate with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment