Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Almost a year.....

I'm so behind on my blog that it's been almost a year since I last posted. Does this mean that I've stopped eating Gluten Free? No. Now I have 'been wheated' many times in the past year and occasionally have done so to myself. I know you other g/f people out there must do the same. You see someone eating something you miss. Something you just haven't been able to figure out how to cook as of yet. Maybe something a friend makes that you remember was "to die for" and you just had to have a bite or two or the whole darn thing. Then comes the week after and you remember why you went gluten free to begin with. This year I have been treated to several fine recipes and made a few adjustments to my favorites. One recipe that I used to make was a chocolate trifle. Just cake; layered with chocolate pudding and whipped cream and topped with a shaving of dark chocolate. I adjusted it. I took the basic chocolate cake, made from almond flour that I found on Elana's Pantry. It's in her book of almond flour recipes and it's awesome. Here's the link to the recipe in the book: Elana's pantry Chocolate Almond Flour cake   It's awesome. I loved it. I bought the book so I can make it even when the internet is down. That is not a good thing when a lot of your favorite foods are on the web in some folder.

So, back to the recipe. I made this for Thanksgiving one year (now it's a requirement) for turkey day at my mom's. It used to be a regular chocolate trifle but now it's been renamed. My brother John has renamed it to



Chocolate Sin

For the cake.....follow the recipe above from Elana. I promise it's good. I'm picky about my food so I won't steer you wrong. After the cake is cooled, cut it into cubes. About 1 1/2 inches square. They don't have to be exact. After all, nobody will even see them but they do need to be about the same size and too big makes for dry trifle and too small makes for chocolate mush. The end of it gets to be that way a little bit but it shouldn't start that way. Back to the recipe....

Whipped cream. Use the real stuff. The stuff that comes in tubs in the freezer section is gross. It's oil mixed with a lot of sugar, some water, some fake flavoring (yep, they don't even use real vanilla), and preservatives. 

Whipped Cream

2 cups heavy cream- keep it cold
sweetener- I use 2-3 packets of stevia
1/4 tsp clear vanilla

I use my Kitchen-Aide stand mixer but you can use the one you hold in your hands too. Just make sure the bowl and the beaters are cold too. I pop them in the fridge or freezer for at least 45 minutes before whipping. I start off by whipping the cream alone. When it starts to get fluffy but isn't totally whipped, I add the sweetener and the vanilla. Then I finish whipping. Set the bowl aside in the fridge until you're ready.

I also make my own chocolate pudding. I know, it's horrifying that in today's day and age that I make my own. Trust me, it's worth it. If you're short on time, get the large box of sugar free cook n serve chocolate pudding. Instant isn't good enough for this dessert. Don't do it. Plus....you know your own is gluten free and hasn't been cross contaminated. Also, you can control the type and amount of sugar/sweetener you use as well. 

Homemade Chocolate Pudding

1/4 cup cornstarch or tapioca flour
dash salt
1/3 cup agave syrup or 12 packets of stevia or 1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup of heavy cream
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate- chopped. I use the squares. If you use bittersweet you'll end up with a sweeter pudding. 

1 TBSP vanilla-use the real stuff

Using a double boiler or a smaller pan set into a larger pan of simmering water, mix together the cornstarch and salt. Then add your milks and sweetener. Stir over medium heat until there are no lumps. Once the milks come up to warm, add your chocolate. Stir frequently while it melts. Once it's thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, add the vanilla. Continue to stir while it thickens. Remove from heat. Strain the mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl to remove any lumps. Lay plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent pudding skin. Set aside until cool enough to work with.

Set 1/2 cup of whipped cream aside. Layer in trifle dish or other bowl/dish with tall sides.Starting with the pudding, layer like this: pudding, cake cubes, whipped cream. Be sure to spread evenly over cake. Repeat with remaining ingredients.  Top with reserved whipped cream. You can pipe a design on the top, use chocolate shavings or fresh fruit to decorate. Chill 2-3 hours before serving. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment