Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Amazing Tres Leches Cake

One of the things I really miss in this gluten free life is my ability to throw together a cake in nothing flat. I've always been an amazing cook and an amazing baker. Doubly blessed. I'm always hearing how this chef or that one has the talents to create wonderful savory delights or amazing desserts but nobody says they can do both.

Maybe I don't have the skills of a Top Chef but I have the God given talents to create a wonderful meal from appetizer to dessert. Yes, I've worked as a Sous Chef. Yes, I've done Garde Manger work too. That term refers to the person in charge of the cold dishes and salads in a restaurant. Yes, I've been a baker for the last umpteen years too. I've taken the private classes for sugar and chocolate. I've taken the Wilton method classes for all levels of cake decorating plus some for gum paste and fondant. I also have an Associates in restaurant management. So the skills are there. I just work from home mostly now. Sometimes I still get a chance to perform in someone else's kitchen too.

This gluten free lifestyle I'm in has really cut back on what I can eat without getting sick. Being sick is no fun. So cakes of the usual style are out as well. I've been experimenting with various cake recipes I've found online. There are hundreds of cakes out there. Some I'd almost go shopping for the ingredients right now (after midnight) if the stores carried what I need (more almond meal).. However right now, I have the 2nd layer of amazing cake in the oven. Cake one came out nice and spongy and too small. So I used the rest of my almond meal and am making a second layer. This cake has no flour, no egg whites, reduced sugar and tons of flavor. I'm making it into a Tres Leches (Three Milks) cake. Tres Leches is made by mixing 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk or 1 1/2 cups whole milk together. When cake is fresh from the oven, poke holes in it with a fork and pour the milk over it. Let it soak in. When cake is cool, ice with fresh whipped cream. Garnish with fresh fruit. I like to use strawberries and kiwis but you can use whatever your favorites are. I also used peaches on this one. Tastes great and it's beautiful too!


To make 1 layer of sponge cake

Oven to 350

Prepare 9 inch round pan. Grease with oil and dust with almond meal

In mixing bowl-

10 egg yolks
1/4 cup agave
6 packets stevia (I used Stevia in the Raw)
1 Tablespoon clear vanilla
2 Tablespoons water
3 tablespoons oil (I used Butter flavored grape seed oil from 'Wildtree' but a good olive oil will work too)

Blend until well mixed.

In separate bowl mix dry ingredients-

2 cups almond meal (you can also use almond flour-blanched and gives a nicer finished product appearance)
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt

Add to wet blend and mix well.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake until spongy to the touch. About 30-35 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment