Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pizza Adventure






Yesterday I went to check out a local store that a friend suggested. They had a small section of GF products. Most of the prices were close to everyone elses. Once you get over the sticker shock, you'll see that the prices are pretty close to each other. Health food stores are the highest, especially if they tout about their benefits and larger selection. So anyway, I found Gluten Free Bisquick. It's mostly white rice flour, which I'm not supposed to have, but I wanted to test out some recipes for things like biscuits, pancakes, bread, and other missed items.


On the box is a lovely recipe for pizza. I took their recipe and upgraded it to something with a little more taste. Their recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups GF Bisquick, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup water, 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning, and 2 beaten eggs. I used 1/4 cup each of canola and a 1/4 cup of good Greek Extra Virgin olive oil, 1 tsp granulated garlic, and a dash of salt as well. I pressed it into my stoneware cake pan (I greased it first) and popped it into the oven for a blind bake (baked crust with nothing in it). It came out a little more golden but still really pale. The surface was slightly cracked but the recipe said it would be so no concern there. Then I added homemade pizza sauce, small bite sized pieces of fresh pizza sausage, chopped fresh garlic, a pizza cheese blend, and topped half of the pizza with strips of red pepper. Into the oven it went for another 25 minutes. It came out looking awesome. It smelled wonderful. It tasted pretty good and was a hit with the whole family! Gluten Free dinner success!

No comments:

Post a Comment